Home - Origins
El Poble Nou de Benitatxell has a rich and interesting past thanks to different cultures that lived in different dwellings and farmhouses and left very visible traces in toponymy, language in general and some buildings and customs.
The first signs of occupation dating from the Paleolithic, discovered by studies in the Cove del Moro. In this same site and in els Forats of the gorge of l'Asbardal, there also have been found remains of the Calcolitic era (among 2.200 BC - 1800 BC). Already in the Bronze age (1800 BC - 700 BC) evidence of inhabitants are determined in the Tossal d'Arnau and Tossal Redó. Both are located at the top of two hills, in presumed location of defence and control of the territory.
In the Iberian era (550 BC - 210 BC) the presence of three remarkable cores have been detected. The Tossal de l'Abiar continues to be a settlement with clear purpose of defence. But in its vicinity have been found interesting objects in the slope of the Hill known as Cova de les Bruixes (cave of the Witches). There were also evidence of remains of ceramics in els Valentins or La Font.
In El Poble Nou de Benitatxell are significant signs of Roman era (210 - 476 BC) in the part of l'Abiar. The settlement of Tossal de Abiar can be associated as a farmstead which furthermore also exert control over the territory surrounding it. The large occur of groundwater favoured the agriculture holdings. In the area of el Pous of l’Abiar also some remains have been found related to the wine production.
Towards the South of the actual village, will consider the possible existence of settlements at the Camí de la Roca. In the area of Pinaret, also various remains from Later Roman age have been located.
One of the most important relicts from the Islamic period is the toponymic contribution which even appears in the name of the municipality, Benitatxell (with references to Benitexil or Benitagel). Of this culture are conserved items of names such as Abiar, Alcassar, Lluca, Moraig (Almoraig), Benicambra, etc.
In 1497 an independent village existed in the area of Lluca. Several farmhouses from the 11th century been detected, in the part of Abiar, with architectural remains of well shafts, a cave and a Manor House. Records of a necropolis of the Muslim-Hispanic era in the part of el Alcassar have been discovered to. And in the old Benitagel, documents describe structures of silos or small food stores. This farmstead would be located on the current grounds of the Church.
All this, shows the importance of the Arab culture in the municipality.
In 1244 the Christian troops of Jaume I conquered the city of Dénia (Daniya) and its territory, in which was located El Poble Nou de Benitatxell.
Several historical ups and downs, including the expulsion of the Moors in 1609, led, between the years 1609 to 1617, to the depopulation and abandonment of ancient Arab farmhouses in Abiar and Benitagell. From that date on began the repopulation of Christians from Mallorca, mainly from lower basin of the Segre and Lleida. They built the church, dedicated to St. Maria Magdalene (1710), where the new inhabitants grouped around.
The Village belonged to Xàbia, within the Marquisat of Dénia, until 1698, when it gained its independency, since then, its coat of arms can still be seen the 5 stars of Dénia House.
The Act of formation of the University of Benitatxell, on January 4th 1698, gives witness to the existence of 22 houses, where lived a hundred inhabitants. Among the population centres of Benitatxell and the farmstead of Abiar, it also refers to a church located in the heart of Benitatxell. The above-mentioned Act marks the limits of the municipal term and makes reference to the "Poble antich que al present está derruit anomenat de Lluca". As opposed to this old town, was created the nickname Poble Nou (new village), used in the whole region upon now, so that the actual name is El Poble Nou de Benitatxell.